Saturday, January 08, 2011

Enoch's Birth Part 2

Ok, so the nurse shooed everyone out so I could have my epidural. I was able to tolerate the pain, but was ready for the epidural, more because I was afraid of the future pain, the unknown. Anyhow, the anestheologist went thru my spine and fluid came out, so he had to restick me. He was the most incompetent person at the hospital, everyone else was wonderful! The epidural began to take except on my left side. The nurse just kept giving me boosts until I no longer could feel my left side either. It was the strangest feeling to have a contraction, but only feel it on my left side and the right side of my body be completely numb! Things were calm in the room and Jared and I both were enjoying the experience and anticipating the arrival of our baby boy! After pushing for a while, they had to give me oxygen. Enoch was in distress and went to sleep right at my pelvic bone. Jared knew more about what was going on than I did, but I remained calm because we were in good hands. Then the nurse told us they would probably have to use forceps or vacuum to get Enoch out! This was the one thing I did not want to happen. The nurse told us our doctor was the best at using these devices; however, this did not make me feel better about it. I didn't worry too much about it because I was beginning to feel the exhaustion, plus I just knew that we wouldn't need to go that route. Our nurse was beginning to seem a little worried, but I thought it was because she had mentioned that Enoch's head may be too large to come through. He was right there! We knew he had a hair full of dark hair and we knew he had an ear! The nurse couldn't wake Enoch up to get him to make his debut, so she got the doctor to come in. We found out that my pelvic bone was too small and Enoch could not fit through (and we later found out his head was actually on the smaller side than average :) ). Now we were being told we would be having a C-section and that we could get to hold our baby in about 30 minutes! I went into this delivery with no expectations so that I could just roll with whatever came our way. I cried when they told us we would have to have a c-section. I wasn't against it or upset about it, just hormones I suppose! Jared sent a text to the family and friends in the waiting room and told them what was happening. My mama wanted to see me real quick before they took me to surgery and Jared's mom came in too. Mama hugged me and told me everything was going to be fine and we would soon have our baby. The nurse sent them out and then they prepared me for the surgery. They gave Jared some scrubs to change in to and told him he would be the last person admitted to the room and not to come in until he was told. This did not make Jared happy because he thought they might forget about him and he wanted to be in the OR with me. Every person that came to the door was stopped by Jared and asked if he could come in yet. He was very anxious! Finally my doctor arrived and they let Jared in. Oh! I forgot to mention that they epidural gave me the shakes and chills which in itself was tiring let alone the worse part of having Enoch. It was so annoying to just tremble for hours. It literally wore me out. Also, before this, the epidural had begun wearing off on my left side, so I was given several more boosts before my left side went numb again...just in time...the doctor had just arrived! The people prepping me didn't seem too concerned or didn't seem to completely believe me, but I kept telling them, it's not pressure I feel, I can actually feel all of the little testing tricks they kept doing on me to see if I was numb! I didn't want to feel them cutting me or burning my flesh! Well, it all worked out and I began crying as I heard the first cries of my baby boy! Jared was gving me a play-by-play of what was happening that he could see. The nurse took many pictures with our camera and then placed enoch in Jared's arms. It was such a beautiful sight! Then the nurse had Jared lay Enoch at my shoulder and she took our picture. I cried the happiest tears! Then the sweet nurse took Enoch back to the other side of the room to perform the routine tests and all. She held him up and said, "Daddy, this is definitely your son! He looks just like you!" She couldn't get over how much Enoch favored Jared! When they were done with Enoch and I, they placed him in my arms and wheeled us back to our room! We couldn't wait for everyone to meet Enoch! As they wheeled me around the corner to our room, I saw Pam in the hallway and called to her. I said, "Pam, he looks just like Jared come see!" She began crying and jumping up and dowm with excitement. It was the the sweetest moment! Then I saw Aunt Kendra going into the waiting room and called to her. She gave us the biggest grin and she and Pam followed us to our room! They wheeled us in and it was such a blur, I felt like a celebrity, there were so many family members in our room grinning and crying and snapping pictures with cameras and cell phones! I was laughing and crying tears of joy all at the same time! We are so blessed and loved! Many friends and family came for all over to meet our sweet Enoch!
After everyone got a peep at Enoch, the nurse sent everyone out so Jared and I could have some time alone with Enoch. The doctor comes in and informs me that they will be taking me for some tests soon because her hand bumped my bladder when they were lifting Enoch out and she wanted to make sure that was the reason for blood in my urine. She also informed me that my incision was longer than normal because Enoch was so far down in the birth canal. Enoch's nurse let me feed him before they took me for tests. Little did I know at the time, but these tests are what hurt my chances of nursing. They would be pumping dye through me (the lab techs seemed to be ignorant and air headed, but they didn't harm me :)) and so I wouldn't be able to nurse for two days. I'm ok with it now, but it took me a while to accept it. It all worked out in the end! Ok, so after our time together, we asked for our families to come in. I got to see my mom, Jared's mom, and Joseph hold Enoch, and then they took me away for over tow hours! This did not make either Jared nor I very happy! More Jared because I was somewhat looney with drugs and natural highs! :) While I was gone Jared got to feed Enoch a bottle! He and Pam made sure they took pictures of everything for me! I am very grateful for that!
Here are some pictures of the BIG day, November 12, 2010!















No comments: