Friday, August 24, 2007

A Sad Day


Not only was today a hard day in the classroom, but it was also a sad day. My friend, Horace Collins, passed away today. He and his wife had volunteered at PGES for many years. They even had a badge they wore everyday that said who they were and that they were special volunteers. When I had the opportunity to choose which classroom I wanted last year, I did not realize that I was also receiving the good help of the Collins'. They had helped the teacher who had occupied my room before. So, when school started last year they came to me and offered their services. Every afternoon they would show up for the last couple of hours of school and help me stuff folders, hang up art work, wash my whiteboard, and Mr. Horace would do odd jobs around he classroom. They did a lot for me including helping me gain about 10 pounds! Mr. Collins brought me several candy bars a week, plus cinnamon peppermint discs and butterscotch candies. Whenever my candy jar on my desk would get low, he would refill it! They quickly became my good friends! They were good company and good help! They decided at the end of last year they would no longer come to the school on a regular basis. They may visit once in a while, but that would be it. Mrs. Collins' would be staying home with a new grandbaby due in October. I haven't seen or heard from them since the end of school. I thought Mr. Horace might call and see how I was doing this summer. I never heard from him. I wish I had called them. You see, Mr. Horace loved to talk on the phone. When I was out with the dreaded stomach virus, Mr. Collins called to check on me because I was not at work and I had not mentioned being out. He also knew about the storm that hit Adamsville and wanted to know if we were ok. Mr. Horace really wanted me to come to his house and have ice cream with him and Mrs. Reanie, he wanted to show me her cookie jar collection, and visit with them. I don't know any details about why he passed or if he had any health problems at all. I have missed them so much this school year! I wish I would have called them sooner to tell them so. I received the message about his passing right before lunch today. My children were sharing news with the class and I turned to read a message on the computer screen from the office. I had to read it three times to beleive it! I couldn't hold back the tears and when I turned to face the class they just stared back at me. I asked them to sit quietly for a moment so I could step in the hall. The teacher next door came to the classroom to tell them why I was upset. Some got a little upset themselves because they knew him as well. Let me just say that it is very hard to put on a smile and try to teach after such news, especially on a day that was already rough (I have some doosies in my class, let me tell you!). We soon had to go to lunch. I sat there quietly and ate which is not normal for me. I usually take lunch as an opportunity to get to know the kids individually. I must have looked real sad despite my efforts, because one of my sweet little boys turns to me and smiles and then says, "Mrs. Sanders, I'm gonna pray real hard tonight that that man comes back to life so you won't have to cry anymore! I don't want you to be sad!" Then he jumped up and gave me the biggest hug. It was both funny and sweet of him! It did not help the tears, but it was awfully thoughtful! Kids are special. I always thought I attracted three kinds of people- Kids, Old People, and Crazies! Please note that I tried to end on a light note because I don't want my post to be completely sad. lol My next post should be on a lighter note because I have a big day full of fun and adventures waiting for me!

2 comments:

Granna said...

Well, you made me cry. What a sweet post, so well written. I am sorry for the passing of someone so special to you and to the school. They sound like very special people.

Alissa and Brody Silly Nanna said...

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of someone so dear to your heart. Both of them seem so sweet in the picture. They look like they would do anything for any body. Well take care and May God Bless and be with you at this time. Phyllis